Monday, February 9, 2009

Frugal Travel Abroad

Gate1 Travel: At last week's meeting I mentioned this travel company that I've used on non-guided trips to several countries in Eastern Europe. With this agency, I've visited Paris, Rome, Geneva, Vienna, Prague, and Budapest during the last 5 years. Because I travel on a strict budget (which allows for a larger shopping budget!!) this site has worked well for me because it offers competitive rates on inclusive packages. Generally, I travel abroad for a week on a budget (airfare and lodging only) of approximately $1,000 and I travel during Thanksgiving week which puts you in most places in early winter which results in less crowds and lower prices-and no turkey cooking!! This may not be ideal for every traveler.

Regarding accommodations, it should be noted that hotels in Europe, if you aren’t familiar, are not always of comparable standards to U.S. hotels, especially the more affordable establishments. I’ve stayed in several budget hotels abroad that had wonderful staff and nice accommodations and I’ve stayed in luxury hotels in the states that I would never return to...it's all relative to what you want your lodging to be like. I strongly suggest investigating online any hotel abroad (or in the states for that matter) that you may wish to be a guest at. Traveler review websites are a huge help and often provide info that is not advertised on the hotel website. Also, I'm a huge proponent of public transportation, so I've not rented a car with Gate 1 on any of the travels listed above. Instead, in most cities, I purchased a metro (subway) card and traveled with the locals, which is the best way to travel. I've also had very good luck purchasing museum passes (which allow for entrance at mutliple museums for one price-a bargain in Paris). Remember, be a world traveler, not a tourist and you'll have a much better experience abroad. If anyone is considering an adventure to Europe, I’d be glad to share the tips and tricks I've learned from other savvy travelers. For examples of frugal travel deals visit http://www.gate1travel.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment